The dance course at Coláiste Stiofáin Naofa is the first step to a fascinating and rewarding career in dance. Students are taught to the highest level by Jane Kellaghan, the Artistic Director of cruX Contemporary Dance Company. ISTD Modern and Ballet taught at the highest Level by Aisling Byrne. All students will take ISTD Exams.
This is a one year course and students on successful completion of Dance 2 may progress directly to one of the Further/Higher Education colleges in London or elsewhere.
Leaving Certificate or equivalent - with exceptions made for talented younger students. A high degree of motivation and a passionate interest in dance are required. All applicants are auditioned and places are awarded on suitability.
Previous experience essential.
Classical Ballet, pointe work, pas de deux, contemporary, modern, jazz, choreography craft, hip-hop, improvisation and yoga.
Dance Performance & Production - examines the making and performing process of dance.
Work Experience – is undertaken with a professional dance company or school.
Career opportunities exist for dancers in ballet companies, contemporary dance companies, musical theatre, West End, teaching, choreographing, producing and music videos.
- Doreen Bird College of Performing Arts
- Rambert Dance School
- Laine Theatre Arts
- London Contemporary Dance School
- Bodyworks Dance Studios
- London Studio Centre
- Urdang Performing Arts
- Millenium Performing Arts
- Stellaman Performing Arts
Past Graduates Include:
- Jane Kellaghan: Director – crux Dance Theatre
- Claire Rigney: Musical Theatre Artist
- Lorcan O’ Neill: – Contemporary Dance Artist
- Richard Murphy: Chicago - West End, London
- Mary Wycherley –Lecturer, University of Limerick.
- Darragh O’Leary: - West End, London
- Antoinette Casserley: Director, Galway Ballet School
- Cormac Murphy: – Ballet Theatre UK
- Amy O'Sullivan: Principal Teacher AFAD
- Claire Skelly: Dancer, Cork City Ballet
- Amanda Duke: Teacher, Donna's Dance Studio.
Students will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of national and international choreographers and dance companies including Cork City Ballet and cruX Dance Company. Guest teachers include Yuri Demakov from the Bolshoi Ballet, Prima Ballerina Chika Temma and regular West End and Broadway stars.