G.A.A. Coaching & Sports Performance
The aim of the course is to provide an academic qualification that combines coaching, player development, strength/conditioning. The syllabus will cover a broad range of theoretical and practical components designed to help students advance into higher education or to enter the workplace. A key component of the course will be a work placement module in a GAA setting.
The course has the support of the Cork County board.
QQI Level 5
Sports, Recreation & Exercise
This is a one year course and successful students can progress to Coaching & Physical Education 2.
Leaving Certificate or equivalent. All applicants are interviewed and places are awarded on suitability. Experience in coaching is an advantage.
The following subjects may be offered:
- Hurling Coaching
Students will learn the skills of hurling coaching.
- Gaelic Football Coaching
Students will learn the skills of Gaelic football coaching.
- Sport and Recreation Studies
This provides students with an overview and understanding of the sport, leisure and recreation industry.
- Exercise and Fitness
This subject provides students with a foundation in resistance training, circuit training and exercise to music.
- Sports Anatomy and Physiology
This subject area provides the learner with an understanding of the working of the human body in sporting contexts.
The purpose of this unit is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the nutritional composition of food and the effects of food and nutrition on an individual’s health and personal well-being.
- Basketball Coaching
A practical based component on the skills of basketball coaching.
- Occupational First Aid
Students will be trained to work as first aiders in the workplace.
- Work Experience (Coaching)
This provides students with experience in coaching in local schools.
This subject aims to strengthen the oral and written communication skills needed in the workplace.
- Strength and Conditioning
Kevin Murray (All-Ireland medal winner with Cork 1999and BA in Physical Fitness and Conditioning in Sport). Kevin instructs students in skill development in hurling and football, injury prevention, strength and conditioning.
- SAQ Foundation, Level 1, Conditioning, Functional Development Certificates.
- Associate Refereeing Course
- GAA Coaching Awards
GAA Games Development Officers, GAA Coaches, GAA tutors, Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers, Sports Management in Community Sports Facilities and Leisure Centres.
390 CAO points can be earned by students on successful completion of this course.
- CSN: Coaching & Physical Education 2
- CSN: Personal Training and Leisure Management
- LIT: BSc (Hons) Sports Strength and Conditioning (LC422)
- CIT: Recreation and Leisure Management (BBus) (CRO32)
- UCC: B.Ed. (Hons) Sports Studies and Physical Education CK116
- IT Tralee: B.Sc. (Hons) Health and Leisure Studies TL871
- IT Tralee: B.Sc. Health and Leisure TL771
- Carlow IT: BA Sport & Exercise (GAA) CW807
- Carlow IT: BA Sport & Exercise (Rugby) CW817
- Carlow IT: BA Sport & Exercise (Soccer) CW827
- Specialist courses in the UK
Read how one student used the CSN GAA course as a stepping stone to UCC's degree program
The college has a full size GAA pitch, astro turf pitch and sports hall. Students will also have access to a new gymnasium on site which is fully equipped with technogym CV machines, machine weights and free weights. The Work Experience, Hurling and Gaelic Football components will incorporate coaching national and secondary school children the basics of both GAA games.
There are Munster GAA bursaries (€750) for some students attending Higher Education colleges.