CSN Music Course Graduate Stories Series
As we look back over the years, we are amazed at the levels of success attained by our graduates and by the sheer number of musicians and technicians who started their careers in CSN. A big music community or family seems to have been created here and, no matter what corner of the world these graduates are in, or what style of music they are involved in, they seemto be able to make connections with each other and in the greater music industry. An excerpt from singer-songwriter Niall Connolly’s blog last year drew our attention to this phenomenon.
Niall was on tour in Germany and, while in Munich, ran into Paul Solecki:
"Like many a graduate from Cork’s CSN Music, Management and Sound course, Paul is a doer. Commenting yesterday that he uses what he learned there every single day. I have to say I feel the same about the course. It taught me many things, primarily that a career in music is possible. Additionally, that if you want music to be your job, you have to be prepared to work at it."
We have had many notable successes over the years, from Sinéad Lohan, Mick Flannery and O Emperor through to members of Walking On Cars and Frank and Walters as well as traditional musicians such as Niamh Ni Charra, Leonard Barry and Pauline Scanlon.
Equally, we are extremely proud of many of our unsung graduates who have been plying their trades at the highest level in various areas of the business, from management to sound, lighting and performance. These people are not always featured, nor do they seek the limelight, but they are essential elements in what is emerging as an organised music industry in Ireland.
Over the coming months we will feature a cross-section of these graduates.
It will be an opportunity for us to catch up with them and for CSN College to acknowledge the significant contribution these young professionals make to the music industry nationally and internationally.
CSN Music Graduate Profiles, so far..
- Gavin Dunne “This is Ireland’s most successful indie musician and you’ve probably never heard of him” (Irish Examiner March 2nd 2015)
- Ber Quinn is one of the most highly regarded sound engineers in the music industry, working with artists such as The Divine Comedy, Villagers and John Grant.
- Niall Connolly “Niall Connolly is a folk icon. Among the most vibrant, poignant, and authentic indie folk artists in New York City.” – No Depression
- Áine Whelan Professional vocalist.Singing teacher/lecturer at CIT Cork School of Music.New album due for release in 2017. Currently on tour with Colm Wilkinson (Music Theatre). Vocalist/Arranger with Swingabella, 1940’s inspired vocal trio and big band.
- Jo Linehan This successful fashion stylist and style writer started out as a drummer in CSN.