Study and Learning Support
What type of support is provided?
You can receive help in the following areas:
- General Assignments
- Business / Accounting
- Communications / Journal writing
- Science/Anatomy & Physiology / Psychology / Nutrition
- Work Experience
- Event Management
- Organisational Skills
How do I go about getting study support?
You can make contact by doing any of the following:
- Email your Course Director
- Email the Disability Officer Karen Mc Grath email@example.com
- Email a Guidance Counsellor Siobhan Daly firstname.lastname@example.org Jim O'Connell email@example.com
- Just call into Room 218 and the teacher there may be able to help you.
- Call into Room 218 and make an appointment. There is an appointment book where you can leave your name, number or email address.
Where is Room 218?
It is located near the canteen (near exit with sliding door). The number is on the door.
How long do the study sessions last?
- This is a flexible service
- Study support sessions may run for 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the individual need of the student.
- Students may access study support for
- one to five sessions
- a term or
- throughout the year if needed.
- Study support can be provided on
- one to one basis or
- in small groups.
Will the study session clash with my regular classes?
- Attendance is arranged by appointment at a time convenient to both the student and the study support tutor, within the timetable that is available.
THIS A CONFIDENTIAL SERVICE. CHECK POSTERS IN THE COLLEGE FOR TIMES AND ROOMS.
If you do not qualify for disability but require assistance with any of the following:
- Completing assignments
- Researching projects
- Revising difficult topics
- Exam techniques
Contact the Study Support Service through:
- the study support facilitator Eleanor Hession
- our guidance counsellors Siobhan Daly and Jim O Connell
- your teachers or course director.
Check posters in the college for times and rooms.
Websites and Links for Study Tips and Learning Support
This is a leading study skills website with free study tips, downloads and advice. It is highly recommended.
Subsections Of This Website Include The Following:
- www.palgraveskills4study.com study skills –gives practical advice to help you study more effectively. Skills4study.com Palgrave -provides study skills audio downloads.
- Mature Students Handbook- www.skills4study.com
This handbook gives excellent advice for the mature student. A guide to writing assignments, activities and time management
The Open University provides open access to some of its study skills resources. It supports students with the following:
- Revision and examinations,
- Core skills e g. grammar, punctuation
- Ongoing skills e. g. Note taking, Organisation, Time management.
- Downloadable Study Skills booklets.
This site offers assistance with grammar and punctuation.
This is a multi-sensory, interactive website providing guidance on reading
and writing skills.
- www.ahead.ie –Association for the Higher Education Access& Disability.
This website has a section on study skills and some good links.
Student Learning Development (SLD) Trinity College Dublin.
This site deals with study skills needing improvement by all learners such as: memory, learning styles note taking, essay writing.
- https://www.urability.com - a new website for students with dyslexia.
Study Support Timetable
The 'Study Support' timetable for 2017-2018 is now available. All sessions are in Room 218 unless otherwsie stated. If you wish to avail of this service, please note there is no obligation to commit to the full hour. Call for 10/15 minutes if that is all you need, our teaching staff will be very happy to help you.
|Joe Hartnett||Aisling Roche
|11-12||Karen McGrath||Lucy Phelan||Ray O'Connor||Joe Hartnett|
|Eleanor Hession||Sharon Murphy||Jacqueline Kearney||Michelle Buckley|
|3-4||Eddie Fleming||Stefanie Dinkelbach||Lucy Phelan||--|
For course specific queries, students should consult the table below to check for the designated teacher assigned to their class.
|Course||Course Director||Support Teacher||Timeslot||Room|
|Access to Cultural & Heritage Studies||Tim Murphy||Michelle Buckley||9-10am Tues||218|
|Access to Social Studies||Eleanor Hession||Joe Hartnett||9-10am Weds||218|
|Acting for Stage & Screen||Jon Whitty||Sharon Murphy||12-1pm Weds||218|
|Applied Biology - Food, Health & Nutrition||Mary Grufferty||Mary Grufferty||4-5pm Mon||218|
|Applied Science- Laboratory Techniques||Yvonne Crowley||Mary Grufferty||4-5pm Mon||218|
|Art Craft & Design||Lucy Phelan||Lucy Phelan||3-4pm Thurs||218|
|Business Studies 1||Siobhan McCarthy||Michelle Buckley||9-10am Tues||218|
|Busienss Studies 1 (Law & Politics)||Michelle Buckley||Sharon Murphy||12-1pm Weds||218|
|Business Studies 2||Vincent O'Brien||Michelle Buckley||9-10am Tues||218|
|Carpentry||Fergus O'Donoghue||Wendy Keenan||9-10am Tues||202|
|Coaching & Physical Education 1||Derek Scanlon||Joe Hartnett||11am-12pm Fri||218|
|Coaching & Physical Education 2||Derek Scanlon||Derek Scanlon||9-10am Tues||310|
|Cultural & Heritage Studies||Shane Lehane||Ed Fleming||3-4pm Mon||218|
|Radio Broadcasting 1||Peter O'Neill||Peter O'Neill||9-10am Tues||220|
|Radio Broadcasting 2||Peter O'Neill||Peter O'Neill||9-10am Tues||220|
|Digital Media 1||Andrea Halpin||Andrea Halpin||3-4pm Thurs||121|
|Emergency Services||Sharon Murphy||Ed Eleming||3-4pm Mon||218|
|Equestrian Studies||Sinead Vallely||Sharon Murphy||12-1pm Weds||218|
|Furniture Design & Making 1||Fergus Somers||Vicky Walsh||1-2pm Weds||117|
|Furniture Design & Making 2||Fergus Somers||Wendy Keenan||9-10am Tues||202|
|GAA Coaching||John Cunningham||Ed Eleming||3-4pm Mon||218|
|Greenkeeping & Sportturf Management||Daniel Crowley||Joe Hartnett||9-10am Weds||218|
|Horticulture 1 and 2||Daniel Crowley||Joe Hartnett||9-10am Weds||218|
|Journalism for the Digital Age||Jon Whitty||Sharon Murphy||12-1pm Weds||218|
|Leisure and Recreation Studies||Wendy Keenan||Sharon Murphy||12-1pm Weds||218|
|Social Studies 1||Ed Fleming||Ed Fleming||3-4pm Mon||218|
|Social Studies 2||Ed Fleming||Joe Hartnett||11am-12pm Fri||218|
|Software Development||Pending||Michelle Buckley||9-10am Tues||218|
|Sports Exercise & Performance||Carol Neenan||Wendy Keenan||9-10am Tues||202|
|Sport Injuries & Therapy||Orla Powell||Joe Hartnett||9-10am Weds||218|
|Sports Nutrition||Katie Finucane||Wendy Keenan||9-10am Tues||202|