Please note: The Dance 2 course is pending validation for 2022-2023
Progess from Dance 1. Students are taught to the highest level and are expected to advance and further develop the skills and training from Dance 1. This is a high energy, physical and creative year. Learn how to work collaboratively with other individuals and to discover a signature movement style. Students advance choreography skills for group or solo work personal style and group dance pieces. Live performance and teaching dance are the focus of the course. Performance skills are enhanced by preparation for auditions and to show pieces. All students will take ISTD Exams. Graduates from this course progress colleges in the UK, Europe (Dance Institute for the Arts in Barcelona) and America. Some graduates may continue to dance professionally or to teach in Ireland and abroad.
ISTD - Intermediate Level (Contemporary Dance)
Major Award Advanced Certificate in Dance - Level 6 – Pending Validation
This is a one-year course and students on successful completion of Dance 2 may progress directly to one of the Further/Higher Education colleges in London or elsewhere.
Students must have successfully completed a Level 5 Award in Dance to progress to a Level 6 in Advanced Dance Studies
- ISTD – Intermediate Level in Contemporary Dance
- 6N20589 Dance Performance and Production 30%
- 6N20589 Dance Appreciation 15%
- 6N20592 Contemporary Dance 15%
- 6N20594 Music in a Dance Context 15%
- 6N1949 Personal and Professional Development 15%
- 6N1946 Work Experience 15%
- 6N5345 Exercise and Fitness 15%
Career opportunities exist for dancers in ballet companies, contemporary dance companies, musical theatre, West End, teaching, choreographing, producing and music videos.
For full details on progression opportunities see these links:
- IAB Institute of the Arts Barcelona
- Doreen Bird College of Performing Arts
- Rambert Dance School
- Laine Theatre Arts
- London Contemporary Dance School
- Bodyworks Dance Studios
- London Studio Centre
- Urdang Performing Arts
- Millenium Performing Arts
- Stellaman Performing Arts
Past Graduates Include:
- Jane Kellaghan: Director – crux Dance Theatre
- Claire Rigney: Musical Theatre Artist
- Lorcan O’ Neill: – Contemporary Dance Artist
- Richard Murphy: Chicago - West End, London
- Mary Wycherley –Lecturer, University of Limerick.
- Darragh O’Leary: - West End, London
- Antoinette Casserley: Director, Galway Ballet School
- Cormac Murphy: – Ballet Theatre UK
- Amy O'Sullivan: Principal Teacher AFAD
- Claire Skelly: Dancer, Cork City Ballet
- Amanda Duke: Teacher, Donna's Dance Studio.
Students will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of national and international choreographers and dance companies and guest teachers.