Sports Injuries and Therapy
QQI Level 5
Do you have an interest in the prevention and treatment of sports injuries? This course will prepare you to become a sports massage therapist or help you to progress to Higher Education courses in Physiotherapy, Sports Medicine and Sports Rehabilitation in Ireland and the UK.
QQI Level 5
Sports, Recreation & Exercise
This is a one year course.
Leaving Certificate or equivalent. Biology would be an advantage. Mature applicants welcome. All applicants are interviewed and places are awarded on suitability.
The following subjects may be offered:
- Sports Anatomy & Physiology
You will learn about every aspect of how the body works. How each system works (e.g. the digestive system, the nervous system, the musculoskeletal system etc ); how different systems depend on each other to function, what happens when the body doesn't work properly and most importantly what is needed for the body to remain healthy.
- Sports and Exercise Injury Prevention
You will learn the practical skills and knowledge which may be used in the prevention or treatment of different sports injuries. The module is weighted heavily on practical demonstration along with assignments and an end of year exam.
- Exercise and Fitness
You will gain knowledge and instructional skills to assist an exercise instructor in the delivery of a safe and effective exercise programme or class.
- Sport and Recreation Studies
This is a broad introduction to the whole area of sport, recreation, exercise, leisure and play. We study history and philosophy as well as industry structure and current issues affecting sport.
- Safety and Health at Work
Gain the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment
- Digital Marketing
Learn to develop and execute digital marketing strategies and activities, under supervision, using a range of e-tools within a range of digital marketing contexts.
You will acquire communication skills relevant to vocational and personal development.
- Work Experience
You will learn how to obtain work experience by preparing for interviews, researching your chosen field, future employment and/or Higher Education. Partake in relevant vocational work following all policies and protocols associated with the industry.
Gyms, health clubs, sporting facilities or spas.
390 CAO Points can be earned by students on successful completion of this Course.
- MTU: Recreation and Leisure Management
- IT Carlow: BSc (Hons) in Sport Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy (CW188)
- IT Carlow: Higher Certificate in Physiology and Health Science (CW106)
Class of 2017/2018
- Ciaran Geaney, MTU - BBus Recreation and Leisure Management
- James Maher, MTU - BBus Recreation and Leisure Management
- Naomi O'Leary, Carlow IT - BSc Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Liam Rice, Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, Scotland - BSc (Hons) Podiatry
Class of 2016/2017 Year 1
- Charlotte Mahony, Trinity College Dublin – BSc Physiotherapy
- Michael Ryan, University of Limerick – BSc Physiotherapy
- Leighann O’Shea, GMIT – BSc Sports and Exercise Science
- Barry O’Connell, Carlow IT – Higher Certificate in Physiology and Health Science
- Ellen Twomey, Carlow IT – BSc Honours Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Aine O’Donovan, UWE Bristol – BSc Sports Rehabilitation
- Aaron Hennessy, UCC - BA Arts
Class of 2016/2017 Year 2
- Laura Fitzgerald, Carlow IT – BSc Honours Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Luke Conroy, Carlow IT – BSc Honours Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy
- Scott O’Connell, Salford University – Sports Injury Rehabilitation
- William O’Flaherty, Salford University – Sports Injury Rehabilitation
- Andrew Harrington, MTU – BBus Accounting
Class of 2015/2016
- Owen Connolly - UCC Sports Studies and Physical Education (BEd Hons)
- Jason Cott - Bournemouth University Clinical Exercise Science BSc (Hons)
- Victoria West - Anglo-European College of Chiropractic MChiro (Hons)
Class of 2014/2015
- Jake Inglis and Dylan Walsh - Cardiff Metropolitan University - Sports Conditioning Rehabilitation and Massage - BSc (Hons).
Students can obtain work experience with physiotherapists, chiropractors, osteopaths, massage therapists, leisure centres, etc.